Thursday 20 March 2014

Santa Marta Endemics - Colombia

As I mentioned before, the Santa Marta mountains have numerous endemics. Many of these birds are named the "Santa Marta Something-or-other". The ones I missed out on I will highlight in orange.

Santa Marta Antpitta
Santa Marta Antbird
Santa Marta Brush-Finch
Santa Marta Bush-Tyrant
Santa Marta Foliage-Gleaner
Santa Marta Mountain-Tanager
Santa Marta Parakeet
Santa Marta Sabrewing - Mythical beast seen by almost nobody. Sight records are considered suspect.
Santa Marta Screech-Owl
Santa Marta Tapaculo
Santa Marta Warbler
Santa Marta Woodstar
Santa Marta Wren - Not possible at El Dorado. Prefers much higher elevation.

The other endemics include:

Blue-billed Curassow - Very rare here, but easier at another ProAves reserve (I didn't go there)
Black-backed Thornbill (a hummingbird)
Blossomcrown (a hummingbird)
Brown-rumped Tapaculo
Rusty-headed Spinetail
Sierra Nevada Brush-Finch (Santa Marta was already taken)
White-lored Warbler
White-tailed Starfrontlet (a hummingbird)
Yellow-crowned Whitestart


Some of these endemics are easier to find, while others take a lot of work, a lot of luck, or a bit of both. And I haven't even mentioned the near endemics, endemic sub-species, or other excellent birds that are found here.

I managed a few pics of some of the endemics but regret not taking even a record shot of others.

 Santa Marta Antbird

 Black-backed Thornbill

 Santa Marta Brush-Finch (above and below)

 
 This Santa Marta Brush-Finch approached the photographer - not the other way around!

 Santa Marta Bush-Tyrant

 Santa Marta Parakeets

Santa Marta Screech-Owl (as yet a still undescribed species). An easy tick, heard from your bed in the middle of the night. And the guides usually know where they roost. 

 Yellow-crowned Whitestart

 Santa Marta Warbler

White-tailed Starfrontlet





1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete