Tuesday 16 April 2013

American Avocet - Long Point

On the morning of April 15th, Josh Nieuwenhuis discovered an American Avocet off the Bird Studies Canada headquarters on the inner bay of Long Point. At first it flew off before anyone else could see the bird, but luckily it shortly returned and many observers got to see this beautiful bird (including myself). It was showing well in great light, not very far away, and actively feeding sweeping it's head side to side with it's upcurved bill. It seemed to be finding lots to eat as well.

It was a new Long Point bird for me, and the first one I had seen in many years. It was in gorgeous breeding plumage as opposed to the all black and white winter plumaged ones I had seen previously in Ontario. 



Although there were no Ontbirds reports today, e-bird tells me it was seen today (Tuesday) before an eagle scared off the ducks, and possibly the avocet as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the avocet is gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still there Wednesday! Definitely worth a look if you are in the area. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got to see it. I felt bad when it flushed, but happy to hear it returned! It was a lifer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found it! Great bird. Birds can be pretty jittery when they first arrive to an area while on migration so there probably wasn't much you could do to stop it from flushing. And it returned anyways so it's all good!

    ReplyDelete