Thursday 21 June 2012

Hog-nosed Snake Nesting, and D-flies

Hog-nosed Snakes have been nesting for the last couple of weeks here in Norfolk. They basically dig a hole in the ground with their nose and sweep the sand out with their head and neck. Then they lay the eggs and fill in the hole.  I haven't actually seen it first hand, but I've seen the evidence. Below is a photo of an incomplete nest. It's pretty destinct and very cool to think that a snake created that. Did the snake abandon it? Or will she come back and lay the eggs before filling it in? I guess I'll have to keep checking it to find out. I suppose they dig test holes and would abandon sites if they thought it wasn't perfect. They will nest in "colonies" where the habitat is perfect, attracting females from all over.
 An incomplete Hog-hognosed Snake nesting site.

 Unfortunately this is what happens to a lot of our snakes. I pulled this one off the road yesterday.


Below are a bunch of Dragonfly shots I took recently. If I don't get them up now they may never see the light of day.
 Arrowhead Spiketail, a large colourful beast and my first for Norfolk.

 Calico Pennant, a colourful and common Ode of Norfolk.


Unicorn Clubtail (above) is a common clubtail of stillwater and ponds. Eastern Amberwing (below) is a small dragonfly that can be easily missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment